CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 4, 2009

FREE-TIME DO's

This is the first of many posts about the volunteer work that is out there.

Today's post is brought to you by:

BIG BROTHERS, BIG SISTERS



I chose to start with this program because I have personal experience with this organization.

In the winter of 2000, I became a BIG SISTER! I was assigned a 13 year old girl who came from a very poverty-stricken, single parent home. For as fun and rewarding as this experience was, it was also challenging in ways i never expected it to be and I learned a lot about myself in this year of knowing my LITTLE SISTER. But most importantly, she taught me to never take for granted the many blessings I have been given on this earth.


I highly recommend this program for anyone looking to get involved in the lives of the children in your community that may or may not have awesome support at home.

Big Brothers/Big Sisters offers 2 different ways you can volunteer:

1: Community-Based Mentoring- you will spend as little as 1 hour per week with your "little" doing anything from going on a walk to singing together at a retirement center, to making cookies.

2: School-Based Mentoring- you will meet with your "little" at a school or rec. center and not only help them with homework, but spend time getting to know each other as well.

For more information click on the link provided above or if you are in the Utah area call:

(801) 313- 0303


No comments:

Post a Comment