CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 1, 2009

DON'T WAIT-- BE A BRACE-FACE!


PERSONAL STORY TIME!



When I was in high school, I, much like a lot of you, had braces. In the fall of my Senior Year, they were taken off! About 3 years later, my retainer broke, taking me back to the orthodontist. It was then that he noticed that my bite had shifted and recommended that I go back into braces for another 2 years.

{okay you're not allowed to make fun of my reaction}

"But I'm 21, what if I get married within those two years," I thought, "I don't want braces in my pictures!!"

{HEY! I told you not to laugh!}

So, off I went, as stubborn as can be, and chose not to get those braces. Fast forward 2 years, I was now working for a company that had awesome benefits and so I skipped on over to the dentist who recommended that I go and see my orthodontist.

Once again, Mr. Fix-My-Mouth recommended those darned braces. "Probably for 2 years," he said with urgency. "If you don't do this soon, some of your back molars are going to shift and it's going to take a lot longer than 2 years to fix them. Oh and by the way, you are NOT a candidate for Invisi-Line."

Despite his warning, I the nerd 20-something thought, once again:

"But I'm 23! I could get married at any time AND I'm doing film and television now, and I don't want braces to get in the way!"

So the braces didn't happen. And would you believe me if I told you, that almost
9 YEARS has passed since that first visit to the orthodontist, I still didn't get the braces, my bite is now worse than ever, the back molars have shifted markedly AND, would you believe it... I'm still not married!! GO FIGURE!! If I had gone straight into braces when the orthodontist had told me to... I would have been out of braces 7 years ago! Oh my gosh, I hang my head in shame!!

Okay, so now to the moral of the story:

Sometimes I think we, as single women, get afraid to go and do or become because, "What if I could get married?" If anything this braces story has taught me, it's that sitting around waiting didn't accomplish ANY of my hopes and desires... it didn't cause me to get married and it most certainly did not fix my bite!

Is there something that you've been wanting to do for a long time and never did because you were afraid it would get in the way of other hopes and desires?

A friend of mine from Boston, who recently got engaged, met her man AFTER she had felt prompted to move to a new state. He moved in, just as she was moving out and they didn't even meet until a party they were both at, in Utah!

She later commented "I guess it goes to show you, that it doesn't matter, where you move or when, when the right guy is supposed to be in your life, it will happen."

So here's your kick in the pants for today:
GO AND DO! DON'T WAIT! YOU WON'T REGRET IT!

Oh and by the way, when I get back from Italy, I'm getting braces!

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, that sounds familiar. I met Jason 4 DAYS before I moved to DC - which I absolutely felt was the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have put off buying nice things because well, what if I get married and we want different stuff. yeah, because a straight boy is really going to care about my couch ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hear you katie!! i had told myself i would not advance to a full/queen size bed from the twin until i got married... but heck, sleeping in a nice full bed for the last year has been heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posting brought back memories. Make me laugh! I got braces just a month before I got married. My husband to be and I went into the bathroom just before engagement pictures and cut them off. They got put back on and we cut them off again the night before we got married. This was accomplished because the braces themselves were on the back molars with a steal band that wrapped around front. We cut the band part off and the braces in the back didn't show. This was before photoshop. What you saw is what you got! Yes...I know the braces were the magic that got me married! NOT!! LOL

    ReplyDelete